The National Research Council (NRC) is the Government of Canada’s premier organization for research and development.
|Mr. Ernie Boyko
||Adjunct Data Librarian (Retired) Library
Data Centre Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ontario K1S 5B6
|Mark Leggott (CNC CODATA Secretariat)
Research Data Canada
45 O’Connor St., Suite 1150
Ontario K1P 1A4
Email: Tina.Bradford (at) nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
(Full list here)
Data Issues and activities in Canada
- Developing a culture supporting research data management and supporting the work of Research Data Canada and the Portage Project (sponsored by the Canadian Association of Research Libraries). Dealing with research data management issues from a national perspective. Including Institution based approach to construction of research data management services & infrastructure
- Overcoming a 10 year gap in reliable social/economic information as a result of the cancellation of the 2011 long form census.
- Stimulating interest of early career scientists
- Scientific Communication
Priority involvements in international CODATA activities
- Supporting CODATA International in the merger of the International Council for Science and the International Social Science Council (ISSC). to provide a strong basis to support the development and use of data and related activities.
- Supporting young scientists by promoting the concept of a Sangster award.
- Supporting the development of a data culture in developing countries.
- Extending the CODATA umbrella by publishing its work at the 2017 IASSIST conference and promoting IASSIST at the RDA Plenary
- May, 2016 – Sangster Award: The Sangster Award is the CNC CODATA Student Award. Lee Wilson was the 2016 recipient and presented his paper “Towards a unified vision for ocean data management in Canada: Results of an expert forum” at SciDataCon in September, 2016.
- September 11, 2016 – CODATA General Assembly: Ms. Kathleen O’Connell, Director of the National Science Library represented CNC CODATA at the General Assembly in Denver, Colorado. She represented the committee’s choices in voting for CODATA Executive Members and Task Groups.
- November 29, 2016, Institute for Data Science at Carleton University Seminar Series: CNC CODATA sponsored a seminar given by Dr. Simon Hodson, Executive Director, CODATA and entitled “Open Data and the Data Revolution: Challenges and Opportunities for Global Research”.
- November 30, 2016: CNC CODATA Annual Meeting: CNC CODATA hosted its annual meeting at the National Research Council in Ottawa, Canada at which members and observers discussed a wide range of issues. This year, we were able to benefit from the attendance of Dr. Simon Hodson.
Future activities and events
- September, 2017- Annual General Meeting Held in Ottawa, the capital of Canada, these meetings attract large numbers of participants: Appointed Members and Observers, and guests drawn from Canada’s federal government and research granting agencies. As a means of extending CNC/CODATA’s reach into the Canadian community, these annual meetings are also open to representatives from the national Committees of ICSU-related organizations to which Canada is affiliated.
- September 19-21, 2017 – RDA Tenth Plenary Meeting, Montreal, Canada RDA Plenaries are held every six months in different places around the world. They are exciting and productive events that bring together a unique community of data scientists, librarians, computer scientists, and domain scientists. Plenary meetings are special working events that really help move the community forward in creating tangible deliverables that improve data sharing across disciplines, technologies, and countriesThe meeting is co-organised by RDA, the University of Montreal and Research Data Canada, Canada. Some members of CNC CODATA will be attending.
- International Data Week, 2018 – CNC CODATA will be represented at the future CODATA General Assembly and hopes to send a young professional to present a paper or project via the Sangster Award at SciDataCon both of which take place during International Data Week.