The Role of integrity in data and AI science, ethics, and policy (Integrity-WG)
Mission and objectives
The mission of the Integrity-WG is to promote the principles of data integrity, responsible and accountable ethical practices, and advanced policy frameworks for contributing to informed decisions that address major scientific and social challenges while promoting a positive societal impact through the ethical and responsible use of data and AI technologies.
The principal objective of Integrity-WG is to provide a point of reflection within CODATA on
the data and AI issues that are deemed essential to the public good with a focus on the roles of quality, reliability, and integrity in the data and AI sciences and applications in serving the global public good.
The following specific objectives will be pursued by the Integrity-WG:
- Develop an open and inclusive membership across countries, regions, and sectors at the forefront of data and AI ethics and scientific integrity. The chairs will recruit and engage those with expertise in data/AI integrity and data/AI ethics and policy. Members will be drawn from a broad range of disciplines (including the natural, life, and social sciences), as well as different stages of data processing and exchange. The Integrity-WG will reach out across the RDA international community on its neutral social platform and assist in furthering open science goals in data and AI integrity and ethics.
- Promote international, integrated research on role of data and AI integrity in the global challenges;
- Ensure that reliable data collection and analysis as well as AI applications increase evidence-informed understanding and decision-making at all levels of science and public policy, discourse, and action;
- Support the continued and equal development of integrity in data and AI systems in all parts of the world;
- Ensure that data stewardship and AI applications to data protect scientific freedom while advocating for principles that promote the responsible practice of science; and
- Raise awareness as well as provide reflection and guidance on the potential scientific and societal concerns as well as the importance of data integrity, ethics, and responsible AI practices.
This Working Group positions itself at the nexus of the rapidly evolving fields of big data and AI giving particular attention to working across disciplines on understanding current data and AI societal and governance trends while anticipating future challenges. Attention to research integrity, including the integrity of the data and the use of AI, is required to maintain trust, address ethical challenges, inform policy and regulation, foster interdisciplinary collaboration, and provide a long-term vision for responsible and ethical data and AI practices.
The WG will advocate for ethical data and AI practices and become an exemplar of a supportive framework for fostering integrity in AI policy and diplomacy promoting the adoption of FAIR principles alongside development of data & AI policies that prioritize trustworthiness, equity, and transparency, thus enabling an environment where data-driven science can thrive for the benefit of all as AI becomes a more ubiquitous part of research computing and scientific endeavors.
Planned (and later on actual) activities and outputs for 2023-2025
- A landscaping study: Within the ISC CODATA Decadal Programme, the Integrity-WG will perform a landscaping study to map the most prominent ethics and integrity questions arising around data and AI in science. One survey has already been developed within the EOSC-Future/RDA AIDV-WG.
- The WG will explore the eventual need for guidance and/or recommendations, particularly within the contexts of World FAIR and GOSC, for developing and publishing state-of-the-art practices for data integrity, ethical considerations, and responsible AI practices. These deliverables may provide practical recommendations and frameworks that can be adopted by researchers, practitioners, and policymakers in the ISC and CODATA communities and perhaps further for ensuring the trustworthy and ethical use of data and AI technologies.
- The Integrity-WG will organize networking events, conferences, or webinars that bring together cross-disciplinary and multi-sectoral experts, from both HICs and LMICs globally, for focusing on integrity in data and AI, expanding the scope of the WorldFAIR and GOSC programmes as well as other ISC and CODATA engagements.
- The WG A mentorship programme: The WG would like to develop a mentorship programme based on The Global Fellowship in New Technologies, Data, & AI Ethics and Governance (GFE) Programme. The mentorship programme will support early career professionals with valuable learning experiences, professional development opportunities, networking platforms, and recognition within the field of data and AI integrity, ethics, and policy. This is a long term goal we will have to establish revenue streams to support.
- Educational resources: The WG aims to collaborate with RDA members and FORCE11’s FSCI conference session attendees to produce educational resources such as whitepapers, handbooks, or online materials that enhance understanding and knowledge of data integrity, AI ethics, and policy. These deliverables may serve as references for researchers, practitioners, and educational institutions, facilitating the adoption of responsible data practices and ethical considerations in AI.
Co-chairs: P. Elif Ekmekci & Natalie Meyers
The WG Secretary: P. Elif Ekmekci