2nd FAIR Convergence Symposium, 24-26 October 2022 in Leiden, The Netherlands and Online
This event is now over. The programme overview is available. Recordings of the events are available – please visit the sub-page for each meeting to access videos and slide decks.
From 24-28 October, in the context of Leiden 2022: European City of Science, there was a week dedicated to FAIR implementation and specifically to FAIR Digital Objects as the core ‘machine actionable units of information’ necessary to build an Internet and Web of FAIR data and services. The week featured two closely related events: the 2nd FAIR Convergence Symposium (24-26 October) and the 1st International Conference on FAIR Digital Objects (26-28 October). The two events explore the contention that the FAIR guiding principles, and their application through FAIR Digital Objects, are important steps to maximise the machine actionability of data and other information.
The co-organisers of the 2nd FAIR Convergence Symposium, CODATA and GO FAIR, agreed that this year’s edition concentrated on smaller, high-priority, strategic and working meetings to encourage convergence on and implementation of FAIR, rather than convening a large open Symposium so soon after International Data Week and in the context of ongoing challenges for intercontinental travel.
Most of the meetings were organised as hybrid events, allowing for both in-person and online participation.
The following meetings and events form the FAIR Convergence part of the week:
- Workshop convened by the CODATA International Data Policy Committee;
- Plenary meeting of WorldFAIR case studies, targeted in particular on outcomes of the FAIR Implementation Profile workshops organised as part of the project deliverables;
- Demo of FAIR Connect, an Open Access publishing platform for the development and dissemination of good practices for professional FAIR-Data stewardship;
- Report on the series of FAIR assessments of data and services of the ENVRI Research Infrastructures using FAIR Implementation Profiles and on its impact on the FAIRification roadmap of ENVRI-FAIR;
- In-person meeting of the Open Science Clouds Executives Roundtable (OSCER), a group of OSC executives convened following agreement to create such a group at the 1st FAIR Convergence Symposium;
- Meeting of Directors (and key staff) of the GO FAIR National Support Offices.
Programme Overview and Registration
Final overview of the FAIR Convergence Symposium programme is available below. Download the programme grid from here.
Most of the Symposium events are marked as Open sessions.
Registration for in-person participation closed on 14 October, 12:00 (pm) CEST. Registration for virtual participation closed on 21 October, 12:00 (pm) CEST.
All sessions were recorded and the recordings are made available via CODATA Vimeo shortly after the event. There is no need to register to get access to the recordings.