The CODATA Connect Early Career and Alumni Network held the first in its webinar series on Research skills on Monday 1 June 2020.
Webinar 1: Writing a Research Article for Publication in an Academic Journal
The presentation and recordings are available for download and viewing.
- Andy Nobes, Programme Specialist and Project Manager, INASP and AuthorAID “Webinar 1: Writing a Research Article for Publication in an Academic Journal” (download presentation)
The recording is available below from Vimeo:
Date: 1st June 2020
Time: 15:00 UK time (14:00 UTC)
Duration: 40 min session and 20 min Question Answers (Total 1 hour)
Registration link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5307510160077828621
This session will cover the basics of writing a research article for publication in an academic journal. It is ideal for beginners in the topic, but can also serve as a refresher for more experienced researchers.
- the global publishing landscape (including open access)
- identifying a target journal
- writing style – getting the right tone
- developing your argument and structuring your paper
- writing concisely
- avoiding plagiarism with good citation practices and paraphrasing
- writing productivity tips
Name of the Speaker: Andy Nobes
Designation:Programme Specialist and Project Manager,
Affiliation : INASP and AuthorAID
Andy is Programme Manager of AuthorAID, a project run by UK-based NGO INASP. His work is focused on helping researchers develop their research writing and communication skills through online resources, courses, mentoring and peer learning. He has been instrumental in the development of the AuthorAID online courses in research writing and proposal writing, which have evolved into Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). Andy has also trained journal editors in Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka in digital publishing practices. He previously worked for academic publisher Taylor & Francis, in journal e-marketing and library marketing.