The China-US Roundtable on Scientific Data Cooperation, begun in 2006 and gradually improved, aims to provide a long-term efficient periodical channel and platform on scientific and technical exchanges and cooperation for bilateral scientists, to promote irregular exchange visits and joint study between bilateral personnel, to explore bilateral cooperative projects on scientific database development, research, training, etc, so as to efficiently enhance the cooperation between CODATA-China, CAS and CODATA-US, NAS.
Initial Focus Areas
- Scientific data policy
- Cyber-infrastructure data applications
- Health and biomedical data
- Environmental and geospatial data
Successes of Roundtable
- Increase in exchange of real-time seismological data
- Identification of data sets available on full and open basis through the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS)
- Providing greater access to disaster data on a real-time basis
- Establishment of the International Biomedical Data Sharing Platform in China
- Support of the “Healthy China 2020” Program
- Memorandum of Understanding between the CAS Computer Network and Information Center (CNIC) and the U.S. National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- Memorandum of Understanding between CNIC and the United States Geological Survey (USGS)
- Proposal for bilateral China – U.S. agreement on biomedical data cooperation
- Proposals for two new CODATA Task Groups: (1) Biomedical Data Integration and Knowledgebase, and (2) Improving Global Management and Sharing of Data and Information in Microbiology
- Collaboration on data attribution and citation practices
- Joint meetings on improved management of data-intensive eScience
First US-China Roundtable (October 21, 2006,Beijing, China) : 25 US attendees and 30 Chinese participants
Second US-China Roundtable (October 31-November 2, 2007, Washington, USA): 55 U.S. participants and 26 Chinese attendees
Third US-China Roundtable (March 23-24, 2009, Qingdao, China) : delegation of 18 US members and 71 Chinese participants.
Forth US-China Roundtable (March 30, 2010 Irvine, CA, USA) : delegation of 20 US attendees and 30 Chinese participants.
Fifth US-China Roundtable (October 27-28, 2011, Beijing, China) : More than 50 experts.
Find out more
Page last updated: 2022-02-16.