The Data Documentation Initiative Alliance has recently announced the public review of their new specification, DDI – Cross Domain Integration (DDI-CDI). In order to introduce potential reviewers to the specification, webinars will be held on Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 14:00 UTC and on Thursday, 18 June at 07:00 UTC. Attendees are asked to register using one of the links below. The specification will be introduced, followed by a discussion period, with each the webinar lasting for an hour.
DDI-CDI is a model-driven specification that is designed to provide support for the wide range of data which are becoming increasingly significant for the Social, Behavioral, and Economic (SBE) sciences, but often come from new sources outside the SBE domain, and often use non-traditional data structures. Such unfamiliar data also demands increased information about provenance, especially the processes by which they were created. Based on the DDI 4/Moving Forward work, DDI-CDI is designed to meet these emerging needs for the integration of data in old and new forms, coming from a variety of domains.
Cross Domain (Data) Integration is particularly important for grand challenge research areas that necessarily combine data of many types and provenance, including infectious disease research, disaster risk reduction, resilient cities research, climate change mitigation and adaptation and so on. CODATA sees great potential in DDI-CDI as a contribution to the International Science Council-endorsed Decadal Programme ‘Making Data Work for Cross-Domain Grand Challenges’. Consequently, CODATA through the Decadal Programme will partner with DDI in the public review process, assisting in getting feedback on the specification from different domains and use cases.
The DDI-CDI specification is available both as a formal UML model and as an XML syntax representation of that model and is designed to align with both existing DDI specifications and other popular standards. Being model based, it is intended to support a wide range of technology platforms and tools. This webinar will help potential adopters provide critical feedback to make sure that it can meet these goals.
- Registration page for Tuesday, 16 June 2020 at 14:00 UTC / 16:00 CEST / 10:00 Eastern: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2502360229151110672 (see time zone conversions).
- Registration page for Thursday, 18 June 2020 at 07:00 UTC / 09:00 CEST / 17:00 AEST: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7626817788843056400 (see time zone conversions).
- Introduction: https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/download/attachments/860815393/Part_1_DDI-CDI_Intro_PR_1.pdf
- Public review page: https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/x/IQBPMw
- Complete download package: https://ddi-alliance.bitbucket.io/DDI-CDI/DDI-CDI_Public_Review_1.zip
- Announcement at DDI Alliance website: https://ddialliance.org/announcement/public-review-ddi-cross-domain-integration-ddi-cdi