International Seminar on BioData and AI (ISBA) 2023 will be held on September 9th, 2023, in Shenzhen, China, with in-person and online participation options available.
This event offers free registration with no associated fees in the spirit of open and inclusive science. For more information, the agenda, and to register, please visit our website at https://db.cngb.org/isba/.
About the ISBA 2023
The ISBA 2023 brings together international researchers, practitioners, policymakers, and ethicists to discuss the crucial issues that arise at the intersection of data science, the life sciences, artificial intelligence (AI), and society. As these fields continue to advance rapidly, it is essential to address the policy and ethical challenges they pose to ensure responsible and beneficial outcomes for individuals and society as a whole. This workshop will examine the ways in which new data and AI technologies are developed, introduced, and implemented in the life sciences, industry, and society. It will give particular attention to a focus on economics and the advancement of the life sciences and their impact on health, the environment, and society. The sessions will explore how human, animal, and plant (organic) specimens and data are collected, processed, and used by science, industry, and government to address the needs of our societies. The role of various ML and AI models, their implementation, and their impact will be considered within the development of legal structures, policy, and governance models for new technologies, the life sciences, data, and AI. The workshop will examine how we can support the development of genomics, multi-omics, and the life sciences using policy and ethics to empower, not only our economies and healthcare systems, but also citizens by creating healthier and more harmonised societies.
The primary objective of the workshop is to foster interdisciplinary dialogue that encourages meaningful discussions and collaborations among experts from diverse disciplines engaged with data science, the life sciences, AI, policy making, and ethics. The following aims support this primary objective:
- Within the context of open science and new emerging technologies, the workshop will investigate the policy implications and considerations arising from the use of data science, the life sciences, and AI applications and their impact on society.
- The seminar will address the ethical challenges posed by the development and deployment of data science, life sciences, AI technologies and applications, and consider ethical frameworks for responsible innovation.
- The seminar will promote responsible practices that foster the adoption of responsible frameworks and conduct in data science, life sciences, and AI to safeguard privacy, equity, fairness, transparency, and accountability.
- The seminar will facilitate knowledge exchange by providing a platform for participants to share their research findings, best practices, case studies, and experiences related to policy and ethics in the intersecting fields.
- The seminar will examine pathways and methodologies for the development of state-of-the-art platforms for education and expertise development in ethics and governance to meet the needs of academia, industry, government agencies, and NGOs in developing young leadership for our digital societies.
Registration and participation: The event is free, and no registration fees are associated. The participants are expected to cover the costs of their travel. The organisers expect up to 120 participants.
Venue: China National GenBank, Jinsha Road, Dapeng District, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China.
Dates: September 9th, 2023
Convenors: China National GenBank (CNGB), Committee on Data of the International Science Council (CODATA)
Sponsors: Guangdong Science & Technology Infrastructure Center (GDSTIC)