UN STI Forum Side Event, 15 May
Presented by the Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) and the International Council for Science (ICSU), with the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UNSDSN)
The digital revolution has created enormous potential for scientific discovery, for efficiency and productivity in business, the economy and education, for socio-political innovation and for minimizing disaster risk. Harnessing the power of the digital revolution to achieve these ends through open data and open science will be essential if we are to maximize the probability of achieving the sustainable developments goals. Developing the capacities of national science systems to deploy open data concepts and tools to address these goals is therefore a vital priority. It is for these reasons that the International Council for Science (ICSU) and its Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) are working with UN agencies, governments, institutions and other international partners to create regional Open Science Platforms in Africa and Latin America & the Caribbean. The Platforms are digital ecosystems designed to provide a virtual space for scientists to:
- find the tools they need for discovery and application;
- develop capacities at all levels, from individuals to institutions/companies and to governments;
- provide powerful digital tools to address major problems;
- exchange ideas, best practice and opportunistic links with international data-science communities.
This side event will take place in Conference Room 4 at UN Headquarters, New York, between 6:15 and 7:30pm on the 15th May. The programme is:
Moderator: Dr Robert Chen (UNSDSN)
– The Digital Revolution & the SGDs: Dr Heide Hackmann, Executive Director, ICSU.
– Africa & Latin America Open Science Platforms: Dr Geoffrey Boulton, President, CODATA.
Panel & General Discussions
Registration information: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/TFM/STIForum/Registration
Registration for Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Stakeholders: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfS8LhswBDDPrsiGiIOrSROuEEc-u84EWhf0CD2KH8rgWbvFw/viewform