We are delighted to announce a launch event of the GOSC IPO, organised by CODATA and the CNIC on 12 October 2022, 12:00-13:30 UTC.
The event will be hosted on CODATA Zoom. Registration is required.
View recording of the IPO launch event in CODATA Vimeo. Presentation decks are accessible in this folder.
About the Global Open Science Cloud (GOSC) Initiative
Open Science is the mode of conducting robust, transparent and technologically-supported research in the 21st century. Around the world we see the emergence of various infrastructures to support and facilitate Open Science. The UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science affirms the importance of Open Infrastructure as one of the key pillars of Open Science. Along with the ISC Action Plan, the Recommendation calls for the development of multinational, regional and national Open Science platforms, as integrated and federated e-infrastructures, and urges stakeholders to ensure both that these initiatives interoperate and that no one is left behind. Similarly, an idea to co-design and co-build the Global Open Science Cloud (GOSC) was discussed during the CODATA 2019 Beijing conference, and has now developed into a worldwide initiative to encourage cooperation, alignment, and interoperability among Open Science e-infrastructures. Partners convened by CODATA have collaborated on the GOSC Initiative since early 2021. The mission of GOSC is to interconnect different institutional, national, and regional Open Science clouds and platforms to create a global virtual environment for globalized research and innovation. So far, four thematic Working Groups and five exemplar scientific Case Studies have been selected to help implement the GOSC Initiative under the general guidance of the GOSC Steering Group. Colleagues interested to join the initiative can do so by signing-up.
The GOSC IPO
To better facilitate and coordinate the development of this GOSC Initiative, CODATA, and CNIC, CAS have jointly established the GOSC International Programme Office. As part of our efforts to enhance the visibility of the Initiative and connect the GOSC IPO with a broader community, we will host a GOSC IPO launch event on October 12, 2022, 12:00-13:30 UTC.
12:00 – 12:40 UTC Opening Ceremony (chaired by Dr. Simon Hodson)
- Opening Remarks (5’, Prof. Barend Mons, CODATA President)
- Opening Remarks (5’, Dr. Yaping Zhang, CAS Vice President)
- ISC (5’ Dr. Mathieu Denis, acting CEO ISC)
- Introduction to the GOSC Initiative (10’, Dr. Simon Hodson)
- Introduction to the GOSC-IPO (10’, Dr. Lili Zhang)
- Q&A Discussion (5’)
12:40 – 13:20 Review of Worldwide Open Science Practices and Open Science Clouds
- The UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science: From Practices to Policies to Practices (5’, Francis Crawley, CODATA IDPC)
- Open Science and Disaster Risk Reduction (5’, Prof. Virginia Murray, CODATA and UKHSA, TBC)
- Open Science Policy and Governance in Europe (5’, Prof. Karel Luyben, EOSC, pre-recorded talk)
- Open Science practices in Africa – Introduction to the AOSP Initiative (5’, Dr. Tshiamo Motshegwa, AOSP)
- Open Science practices in China (5’, Dr. Juncai MA)
- Open Science practices in Malaysia – Introduction to the MOSP Initiative (5’, Dr. Noorsaadah Abd. Rahman, MOSP)
- Q&A, Discussion
13:20 – 13:30 Closing Remarks and Group Photos
- CNIC Representative
- CODATA Representative