The CODATA-RDA Working Group on Research Data Science Summer Schools has been making very good progress.
We are pleased to announce that the first full introductory or Vanilla course will take place from 1-12 August 2016 at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics in Trieste, Italy. Thanks to kind support from the ICTP and from The World Academy of Science, as well as CODATA and RDA, the course will accommodate up to 120 students at the beginning of their post graduate careers. We currently have funds to support the travel of 30-40 students and are looking for more funding and sponsorship.
The curriculum for the first course is being prepared in collaboration with a number of partners, including Software Carpentry, Data Carpentry and the Digital Curation Centre.
The call for applications will be published later this year. Applications from students in Lower and Middle Income Countries are particularly encouraged. Watch this space!
Vision: a scalable series of short courses in research data science
The broader objective of this activity is to develop a readily scalable series of short courses that address a recognised need for additional ‘research data science’ skills at post-graduate and early career level.
The vision is a set of short courses that:
- follow an recognised and accredited curriculum;
- provide a pathway from a broad introductory course for all researchers (Vanilla) through more advanced and specialised courses (Flavours and Toppings);
- are reproducible: all materials will be online with Open licences;
- are scalable: emphasis will be placed on Training New Teachers (TNT) and building sustainable partnerships.
… is available on the Working Group’s page. See also:
- Join the Working Group on the RDA website.
- Attend the Working Group’s session at RDA Plenary Six, Breakout 8, 11.30, Friday 25 September.
- Presentations given about the iniative in July 2015, at ICTP, Trieste in discussions to plan the first Vanilla Research Data Science Summer School at ICTP in August 2016: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.22670
- Current Working Research Data Science Schools Pitch Document.
- Current Working Curriculum Outline.