9-20 September 2019, Beijing, China
The deadline for applications is 11:59 pm CST (UTC+8) on 30 May.
Due to advances in information technology, we are witnessing an explosion in digital data through all forms of human activity: much of this data can also contribute to the production of knowledge for all domains of enquiry and across domains, as well as providing essential information for decision-making in response to global challenges such as sustainable development, disaster risk reduction, climate change, the growth of cities, the maintenance of biodiversity etc., etc. In order to meet the many global challenges and to take advantage of the opportunities of the data revolution, it is imperative to develop global skills and capacity in the science of data.
- Basic data science skills (e.g. Introduction to data infrastructures in CAS, data carpentry, data management plan)
- Machine learning and data driven scientific discovery
- Scientific data policies, good practices, norms, specifications and standards
- Selected disciplinary scientific data stewardship exemplars (e.g. geoscience, biology, genomics, astronomy, etc)
A number of activities will be organized involving elite Chinese scientists, in order to promote knowledge sharing and to develop opportunities for future exchanges and collaboration. Participants will benefit also from visits to a number of leading research institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). During these visits, participants will have the opportunity to learn from the scientific approach, management expertise, knowledge development and practical application which characterize activities at CAS institutes working at the frontiers of research. Furthermore, the program will promote interaction and exchange of knowledge between experts and participants and among participants who will benefit greatly from exchanges with colleagues for a variety of academic and national backgrounds.
You will be asked to complete an application form with personal information and to submit supporting document. Once you have created an account and entered the personal information you will need to click on [Submission] to access the page to upload your supporting document.
- What expertise and qualities would you bring as a participant?
- What specific topics would you like to cover and how will this help you?
- How would you hope to apply the experience gained from the course in your own country?