The Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, in collaboration with CODATA, is organizing a workshop on Education for. The purpose of the workshop is to discuss how should be taught in academic institutions and what kind of training and retraining can help support the need for new professionals in the .
The workshop will deal with the following levels of education:
- Graduate programs intended for researchers and advanced (graduate) students.
- Undergraduate programs intended to students who wish to specialize in , either for career purposes or for postgraduate studies and .
- Cross campus programs intended to expose all the students on campus in every discipline to , in order to train them to study, to do , and to work in the world. Such programs ask: ‘what are the core skills that all researchers and university qualified individuals need?’
- Training Programs that will help to educate researchers and faculty members within academia and institutions who are in need of the required new skills to operate in the ‘ ’/ .
CODATA is seeking expressions of interest from the international community of people who would like to present and exchange experiences with data education. We are looking for 15 international speakers to be part of the . If required, some travel support may be provided. Note that we are planning for an in-person meeting, but will make adjustments as we see how the pandemic evolves. Options may be to do a hybrid in-person/virtual meeting or possibly delay the meeting until it can be in-person. That decision will be made in sufficient time to assure arrangements can be made effectively. Currently, the tentative date for the workshop is February 7 – 9, 2021. It will be held at the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Jerusalem, Israel.
We are looking for participants from a wide variety of academic disciplines – either to the developing andside of , to new programs that develop the discipline of or to the application and user side (e.g., Physical Sciences, Humanities, Law, Social and Human Sciences, Life , Medicine). Details about the meeting and proposed structure are in the attached.
If you are interested in participating, we would like to have a 250-500 word abstract describing the program or research that you would like to present. Please send it along with information about your current position and a CV or resume describing your background. Deadline for submission of your interest in participating is extended to August 31, 2020. Please note that the workshop planning team would like to create a special issue in the CODATA Data Science Journal on Education for Data Science. Participants in the Workshop are encouraged to plan on submitting a research or a practice paper or any essay for that special issue. Statements of interest should be sent to:
- Asha Law, CODATA Programme Assistant: asha (at) codata.org
- Simon Hodson, CODATA Director: simon (at) codata.org
If you have any questions or would like additionalplease contact either:
- Bonnie C Carroll, Secretary General, CODATA, bcarrolltn (at) gmail.com
- Simon Hodson, Director, simon (at) codata.org