Dryad is the leading multidisciplinary data repository that makes research data discoverable, freely reusable, and citable. Dryad envisions a world where curated research data is openly available, integrated with the scholarly literature, and routinely re-used to create knowledge.
Dryad is seeking a dynamic new Executive Director to lead the continuing development and full operation of the organization during this time of ambitious growth and transformation. The ideal candidate will have proven experience working within the open data and open science communities and will skillfully leverage their knowledge to enable Dryad to expand international and strategic partnerships with journals, scientific societies, research institutions, libraries, and funding organizations.
The Executive Director will remotely manage the multidisciplinary Dryad staff, apply superior management skills to ensure the organization meets its objectives through sound financial planning and execution, provide full oversight of operations, and directly report to an international, highly experienced Board of Directors. As a small organization, the Dryad Executive Director must be able to juggle multiple responsibilities and embrace their responsibility for executing and delivering on concrete objectives, as well.
- Ensure Dryad has a long-range strategy to achieve its mission and makes consistent and timely progress
- Develop sustainable models for data curation and publishing to support Dryad’s vision
- Lead a team while also working as an individual contributor on projects
- Able to serve as Dryad’s champion to the community while not being adverse to rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty
- Build strong connections to existing members and to new communities to broaden the impact of Dryad’s work
- Secure financial support from key stakeholders to support Dryad’s ongoing financial sustainability
- Develop partnerships and explore funding models with publishers, funders, and research institutions
- Craft high-quality strategies and plans for realizing significant organizational growth both individually and through strategic partnerships
- Working with the Dryad staff, evaluate and implement services that increase impact and efficiency
- Cultivate a dynamic and forward-thinking reputation for the organization and set strategies for marketing, communications, community relations
Management and administration
- Provide financial oversight and develop, recommend, and monitor annual budgets; work with Board Treasurer to manage cash flow; and support and pursue grant efforts that match the organization’s strategy
- Negotiate contracts, establish and maintain partnerships, and pursue grant opportunities
- Cultivate a strong, responsive culture that focuses on fulfilling the organization’s mission, vision, and values
- Lead organizational operations by overseeing staffing, training, supervision, and evaluation of a remote Dryad staff as well as contractors and project team members at partner institutions
Board of Director relations
- Serve as non-voting officer of the Board and facilitate clear communication among the Board, project team, stakeholders, and contractors
- Engage the Board and/or Board committees in policy discussions as needed
- Assist in the recruitment of new, dynamic leaders to serve on the Board
- Vision. You bring fresh ideas on new ways to grow the organization
- Execution. You are entrepreneurial and will personally go above and beyond to produce great results
- Experience. You have a track record of building and scaling community initiatives
- Resourcefulness. You do a lot with a little, building success in a startup environment
- Leadership. You inspire with action and with clear strategy
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with the selected candidate’s experience. Dryad also provides a full benefits package that includes comprehensive health benefits as well as paid time off in addition to office holidays. Dryad staff members are virtual and primarily work from home. Currently, the staff are located across the USA however Dryad is excited to expand our workforce internationally. The Executive Director role will be virtual and, therefore, the location is flexible and will include frequent travel when travel becomes more regular..
For preliminary questions or to apply, send a letter of interest along with a CV to email@example.com. Applications will be considered starting April 15, 2021.
It is Dryad’s policy to prohibit discrimination and preferential treatment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, religion, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition.
For more information