Princeton University seeks a visionary and innovative leader to create and direct the new Princeton Research Data Service (PRDS). The Director will provide overall leadership for the establishment of a strong collaborative initiative with the campus research community, guiding Princeton researchers toward best practices in data collection, data formatting, data maintenance, data access, and data management. The Director will facilitate access to, manage, steward and store digital research data. The Director will be responsible for spearheading the consultation and training services provided by professional research data specialists. The Director will be a visible leader, both on campus, nationally, and internationally, and able to continually assess the evolving needs of the campus research community with respect to data management across disciplines, based on trends in the field of practice as well as the requirements of federal funding agencies and publishers.
Reporting directly to the University Librarian, the Director will also work closely with the Dean for Research Office (DFR) and Office of Information Technology (OIT) to develop appropriate policies, data repository and storage infrastructure for the University. A Policy Advisory Committee consisting of senior personnel from OIT, the Library, DFR, and faculty from each division, will provide guidance and make appropriate recommendations on matters related to infrastructure, security, privacy, open access, preservation of codes, sensitive data, inter-institutional collaborations, etc.
Princeton University is a vibrant community of scholarship and learning that stands in the nation’s service and the service of humanity. As a world-renowned research university, Princeton seeks to achieve the highest levels of distinction in the discovery and transmission of knowledge and understanding. At the same time, Princeton is distinctive among research universities in its commitment to undergraduate teaching.
- Working knowledge of current trends and technical, legal and information policy issues in research data management.
- Demonstrated understanding of the data needs of the academic community.
- Four or more years of increasingly responsible management and supervisory experience in an academic or research institution.
- Successful experience building and maintaining effective academic partnerships and collaborations.
- Evidence of significant change management primarily in the definition and introduction of new services in a research environment.
- Experience in successfully managing technology staff, teams and projects.
- Evidence of outstanding communication, interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively under conditions of organizational complexity and ambiguity.
- A strong commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce and work environment.
- Educated to Masters or a higher level.
Applications will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website: https://careers.princeton.edu/ and must include a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information.
Direct Link to Posting: https://main-princeton.icims.com/jobs/9583/director-of-princeton-research-data-service/job
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW